Sunday, January 8, 2012

PS 3 Stout Buttermilk Rye

about 17 oz. starter
2 3/4 c rye flour
12 oz stout (Stockyard Oatmeal Stout, to be exact)
12 oz low fat buttermilk
3 1/2 T potato flour (Bob's Red Mill)
about 4 1/2 c. bread flour
1 T olive oil
1 T mild Brer Rabbit Molasses
3 t salt
3 1/2 T caraway seeds

yield:  4 # 13 oz. dough:  shaped into one 2# 3  oz. long loaf baked in the fish poacher and two boules,  each 1#, 5 oz. and baked in the 1 1/2 quart le creuset pots.

The night before baking I brought the refrigerated starter (PS, Pete's Starter) from my fridge and let it stand on the counter overnight,  It was light and bubbly in the morning.  I mixed per the last time, with 2 c. bread flour and 1 c + 1 T (room temperature, filtered) water.  I measure out 6 oz of this, returned it to the small container, and refrigerated it.  The remaining sludgy mass was left to rise on the counter, shower cap on top of the bowl, until risen and bubbly, about 5 hours or so. Yes, I should pay attention to how long this stuff takes to rise nicely!

Once it was risen and spongy, I put it in my stand mixer bowl with the rye flour.  I warmed the stout in the microwave and added the cold buttermilk to it.  I added the liquid to the mixer bowl and mixed on low until combined.  I then added all the other ingredients plus the two cups of the 4 1/2 C bread flour.  I mixed on low for a few minutes until all was well combined, scraped the insides of the bowl down, and then added most of the rest of the flour, one cup at a time, until I had a soft dough.  I changed to the bread hook and kneaded it for about 3 minutes.  I then dumped it on the counter and the rest of the flour, kneading by hand.  It went into my proofing bowl, covered with the plastic lid, to let rise.


It took about four hours to double.






 I shaped the loaves and let them rest in their baskets for about 1 hour; the last half hour I put the pans and lids in the oven and preheated the oven to 450 F.  Bread was docked and spritzed; covered and put into the oven.

Baked for 25 minutes- temp of baked bread was well over 200 F.  (I use an instant read thermometer in the top middle of the biggest loaf checks to check for doneness at 25 minutes.)

Very nice flavor.  Bread had a dramatic oven rise, so even though loaves were docked, the long loaf was a little ugly- kind of busted up looking.  Good crumb and moist on first and second day.  Better toasted after that.  





1 comment:

  1. That is very homey. I wonder how strong the rye flavor is--enough to call for ham and Swiss cheese? So creative, working with the natural energy in that starter to produce something new.

    ReplyDelete